07 June 2012

D&C

It is unusually difficult to see the bright side when it is your self, your body, that is causing your hardship. The past few days have been really overly stressful - for the most part because of the failed pregnancy, but also because of confusion and uncertainty that made me transfer to another doctor and hospital. Last night, my husband and I stayed at a Manila inn so that we won't be late for my scheduled dilatation and curettage (D&C). It is a minor procedure wherein the cervix is dilated and the remains of a failed pregnancy are scooped and suctioned out of the womb.


The operation started early in the morning at the Manila Doctors Hospital. Though feeling sleepy, I was awake the whole time, but I refused to remember or imagine what was being done down there. Other than the administration of the spinal anesthesia, I did not feel any more pain. The procedure lasted for less than an hour, I think, but the whole time I felt as if it was taking so long. To my disappointment, there was more waiting in the recovery room where I had to stay for around three or four hours to let the anesthesia wear off. I could not sleep so I just passed the time listening to the nurses and interns in the area and observing the other patients in the room.

I felt perfectly well after recovery and so I decided to just rest at home. I was able to avail a 30-day maternity leave from work, and this I used to reflect and hibernate physically, emotionally and mentally. After all, I will need this break in order to ready myself to have one more try at baby-making.

No comments:

Post a Comment