13 April 2012

Pregnant!

Friday is the day of the week that most people look forward to, except only perhaps if it falls on the 13th day of the month, which superstition says makes a spooky match. Even so, it is today, a Friday the 13th, that I learn about my pregnancy after almost a year of marriage. Even though we did not actually “plan” to get pregnant, it felt so right and heartwarming.


After thinking about it, I realized how foolish I was not to know I was pregnant weeks before, when all the symptoms were already there. Maybe it was because we were not really expecting and wanting it yet. But then, one test kit showing a positive result changed my attitude altogether. Days after, I was starting to read pregnancy books and online materials. All of a sudden, I was eating healthy and was moving slower and more careful than normal. Sooner still, I started asking around and doing background checks of likely doctors so that I could schedule my very first pre-natal checkup as soon as possible.

Even before I went to my OB, I evaluated myself based on what I read and realized that I might be well into the second month of pregnancy. After that thought, the next ones started to disappoint and depress. Didn't I just join an evacuation drill recently, going downstairs from our office on the 41st floor? Didn't I just come from Palawan where I acted so gawky and did not mind abusing my body with all those walking, swimming and careless eating? The fatigue is still fresh from the Lenten season during which I maxed out my physical strength with all the Church activities especially during the Holy Week. There was even a day when I had to go to work before rushing to a Church service and then a walking tour of churches in our area. While I started to feel sorry for the baby and scold myself for not knowing, I also promised to make up with my negligence by taking double care and hoped it was not too late.

Just as all these sank in, I truly acknowledged how important it is to plan ahead and thoroughly prepare for a pregnancy because it begins even before you get an idea there’s a new life inside. For being able to learn and appreciate the gift of pregnancy and the significance of the days when you do not know yet, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment