14 February 2013

Love

“And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.”

Because of my recent experiences, I cannot help but view the above line with reproductive failure in mind – when nothing else remains, a childless marriage can only be secured with faith and hope, but what makes it survive is love.

I cannot exactly brag about our infant marriage; it’s just that I cannot contain my happiness whenever I think of how my husband has been through trying times. When faced with failure and inability, any other man would be too frustrated, and I would not want to know what too much frustration can turn a man and his marriage into. With God’s help, I never got to find out. In lieu of frustration, he was selfless enough to express love instead. And I will be forever thankful that, though I won’t have everything, I have him.

While our first pregnancy turned out to be a sham, right now, we don’t pressure ourselves, really. Even when I try to be negative about it, he would just brush the thoughts off and try to relieve me of the frustration and guilt a woman is likely to feel when she seems unable to produce a child. Despite that feeling of failure, I embrace the experience because I feel empowered by his love. He’s not perfect, but I know I would not be able to find another man who can love me as much as he does. With a husband like him, it’s not at all difficult to see the positive side of things. We think of our childlessness as God’s way of giving us a chance to enjoy the time that’s left of our life without kids.

For God’s perfect plan and for The Man who has graced my life and stuck with me, I’m grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment